Friday, February 23, 2007

Gatlinburg

Except for getting to visit with Tony and Wendy which was great, my vacation sucked. First of all it took over 13 hours to get there. The roads in Indiana were horrible - snowy, icy, slippery. We saw an awful accident - pickup truck on its side, Expedition crashed in the front end and a small car completely destroyed. Then there were semi's jack-knifed (sp?) in the median, cars spun out everywhere. It was bad. You may remember I was in an accident last year and I was driving on these crappy roads, so I was a little less than calm.
So then we finally get to the Gatlinburg area and traffic was stopped from before Pigeon Forge all the way through Gatlinburg. I can't imagine what traffic must be like in the summer or fall.
So anyway I'm not going to go through every bad thing but here's a recap: the cabin had wasps in it, they wouldn't refund our money, stayed in a nasty motel where I had to clean the toliet off before I could use it. Tony & Wendy couldn't get up or down the mountain they were staying on.

The rest of the trip was ok. We got into a much nicer hotel (thank you Wendy) and ate at some nice places. What annoyed me overall was when you walked up and down the strip, there were basically in-person telemarketers on the street trying to stop you and talk to you. It was incredibly annoying.

I did like the Old Mill restaurant and the one waterfall we saw at the National Park. But I don't think I'll go back to Gatlinburg. If we continue to take winter vacations I'm either going to go on a cruise or to Disney or make it an all out winter vacation with skiing or snowmobiling.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Smokies Hiker said...

Wow! Sorry to see you had such a poor experience in the Smokies.

Wasps in the winter there is rare and they should have taken care of them for you because staying in a hotel in high season there is no fun as all the good rooms book way on advance. There is nothing that they can do about the lady bugs but the again they don't sting like a wasp can.

Hope next time you have more fun in the Smoky Mountains

 

Post a Comment

<< Home